Monday, February 20, 2012

3 Months!

I think it is very fitting that my first post in this blog, {transitioning grad}, is on the day that marks 3 months till I am graduating from college.  I find it hard to believe that such a major milestone in my life is not so far away (anymore).  I mean, 3 months is a long time in a lot of ways (it's nearly a full semester of college, or about how long I had off every summer), but it's also incredibly short when I consider everything I hope (and need) to accomplish before I walk across the stage this May:

- Where am I going to live after college?  Am I going to live with Tom (my boyfriend)?  Am I going to live in New York (my home state) or New Jersey (Tom's home state)?

- Where am I going to work?  Luckily, I already have a job offer, but my exact position and location have not been disclosed to me yet.

- Am I going to pursue my Master's part-time?

- How much time do I need between graduating and starting work?

- What do I need to accumulate (towels, linens, a couch...) if I do get a place on my own or with Tom?

...this list goes on.  More specifically I want to focus these next 3 months on 3 things: (1) Getting healthy, (2) Having faith, and (3) Being happy.

In terms of getting healthy, I think these next 3 months are pivotal in getting me both in shape and used to healthy habits that I will carry with myself in the "real" world.  I want to develop better eating habits; I want to get into better shape, and learn to make being active an important aspect of my life.  If I can't hone these habits now, while I'm only dealing with a 12-credit semester load and still living at home with no bills to pay, I don't know if I ever will... like when I'm juggling a 50+ hour work week and (most likely) living away from home.

In terms of having faith, I worry too much.  I worry about all the things I listed above + more things.  It's in my nature.  So I really want to work, in these next 3 months, on keeping faith that things will happen in time - and things that aren't meant to happen, never will, and other things will happen as a result of their failings.  This is extreme, yes, and I think I will waiver in this desire the most, but I think it will help me keep my anxiety down... and as most of us know, in any transition, anxiety (and lots of it) is likely to ensue.

Lastly, in terms of being happy, I want to enjoy my last 3 months of college.  I can't say I've lived the "traditional" college life - I never lived in a dorm, I never even lived away from home - but I have enjoyed less responsibilities than my future holds.  I want to embrace this time, and make the most of it.  Especially considering there is a very likely chance I will be moving away from home come May/June, I want to take advantage of being so close to so many people I love; my parents, my brother, my grandmothers, my cousins, my friends...  At the end of the 3 months I want to be able to look back and know I took advantage of them and they are filled with good change and good memories.

So I guess this first post has some sort of preface for what the rest of my blog is likely to encompass.  I will likely have many posts regarding:

- Moving away dilemmas, including: apartment hunting, necessity-acquiring, staying in contact with loved ones, moving in with the person I have been in a long distance relationship for over 2 years (we've been in a relationship for over 3 years) & those challenges of sharing space and being with each other all the time, leaving town, getting used to somewhere new...

- Getting healthy; Dieting; Working Out; Taking Care of Myself

- Enjoying my time being a 21 year old undergrad ;)

- Personal dilemmas not explicitly stated above

- Overall, the good, the bad, the better, and the best, regarding everything about this transition! -

So, I ask you: Are you going through the same transition or another transition?  Are you worried too?  Have you already transitioned from college to the "real" world?  What steps did you take in your transition (if any)?

xo,
{K}

No comments:

Post a Comment