Tuesday, February 21, 2012

No Mashed Potatoes!

In my first post, I alluded to the fact that, in the next 3 months, I really want to work on getting healthy.  So, yesterday, I started a diet/work-out regimen.  It's pretty simple - I knew enough not to make too many drastic changes (at least so soon).  Basically, I have given up sodas and other pre-sweetened drinks.  When I told my mom this she argued; "But you never drink soda."  Um, maybe not when you're looking?  But the truth is she buys it for my brother and if it's in the house I will eventually have some.  It's worse when my mom buys diet soda, like when my grandma visits (because that's all she drinks).  Of course there are "zero" calories in it so I'll guzzle even more, but with all the sodium in diet soda that's not good either!  Basically, anything with artificial coloring/sweeteners is not good.  So, yeah, I no longer drink sodas or other pre-sweetened drinks... even diet ones.

I have not only given up drinking soda/pre-sweetened drinks, but I have also given up fried foods, sweets, and cereals (too much sugar!).  Also, I am striving to eat only wheat bread and wheat pasta products.  I have a feeling that might be the one rule that causes me the most trouble, since wheat options aren't always available.  Oh, and my eternal sweet tooth may cause me some trouble, too. ;)

It's a lot, I know.  But actually this post is about surpassing temptation.  Last night, around 2am, I was up studying for an exam I had today, and I had a craving for mashed potatoes and gravy.  My family actually had mashed potatoes and gravy with dinner last night so this craving wasn't from out-of- nowhere.  I really contemplated going to the kitchen and getting some, but instead I resisted my craving.  I know this isn't the most interesting story ever written, but I really thought I had to share.  Mostly because the Kristen I was before yesterday definitely would have gone and ate the mashed potatoes.  She probably would have ate the mashed potatoes, and even searched the cabinets for another snack.  But last night, when I had the craving, all I could think of was where I want to be when I graduate, and as I enter my future; healthy.  Additionally, I thought of how horrible I'd feel to eat those potatoes, not to mention eating that late at night tends to cause (at least for me) nightmares!

So, my questions for you: Has there been a time you resisted a food temptation?  What keeps you from eating the whole chocolate cake?  What's your diet like?

xo,
{K}

No comments:

Post a Comment